Previously, I was a Visiting Researcher in the Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, and a Senior Researcher and Lecturer at the Department of Computer Science at ETH Zurich.
Research at the University of Michigan (2016-)
Please find out more on the Information Interaction Lab web site.
Below are some first prototypes from our first semester of research so far:
- Surface Pad: a sketching and notetaking interface allowing designers to use new forms of input devices for content editing and easily blend digital and physical content
- 3D Lab: an initial 3D model of our lab environment designed for crowd workers to participate remotely, as well as providing physical controls to end users physically present in the room
Research at Carnegie Mellon University (2015-2016)
Using my Swiss NSF mobility grant at CMU, I investigated ways of orchestrating multiple devices and crowds to enable complex information seeking, sensemaking and productivity tasks on small mobile and wearable devices. I also contributed to the Google IoT project led by CMU. This work led to three papers at ACM CHI 2016:
- WearWrite: a wearable interface enabling smartwatch users to orchestrate crowd workers on more powerful devices to complete writing tasks on their behalf (CHI'16 paper, CHI'16 talk, UIST'15 demo, tech report on arXiv)
- XDBrowser: a new cross-device web browser that I used to elicit 144 multi-device web page designs for five popular web interfaces leading to seven cross-device web page design patterns (CHI'16 paper, CHI'16 talk)
- Snap-To-It: a mobile app allowing users to opportunistically interact with appliances in multi-device environments simply by taking a picture of them (CHI'16 paper)
Research at ETH Zurich (2009-2015)
For the full list of publications, please check Google Scholar and DBLP.
Go to top
Visit my research lab!
Visit the MISC research group!
News and Events
March Max Speicher joining my lab as a postdoc. Exciting!
February Invited to the HCI.Tools workshop at CHI for my position paper Playing the Tricky Game of Toolkits Research.
January Teaching Intro to Interaction Design this spring.
December XDBrowser 2.0 accepted to CHI'17.
November Giving XDUI tutorial and attending RoomAlive toolkit tutorial at ISS'16. Meeting my former ETH Zurich colleagues Fabrice Matulic and Maria Husmann. A lot of fun!
September Starting as Assistant Professor at UMSI. Setting up the Information Interaction Lab. Teaching Interaction Design Studio.
August Wrapping up my Swiss NSF Advanced.Postdoc Mobility fellowship at CMU. Thanks for the support!
June Organizing the EICS'16 XDUI workshop (proposal). XDUI tutorial accepted to ISS'16.
May Accepted Assistant Professor position at UMSI. Attended CHI'16 in San Jose, CA. Participated in microproductivity and cross-surface workshops. Led Systems@CHI lunch. Chaired end-user programming session. Presented WearWrite (video) and XDBrowser (video).
January-May Invited talks at TU Munich, Yale, Virginia Tech, Indiana-Purdue, UMSI, UW CSE (video), Adobe Research, and Google.
April Joined HCOMP'16 PC.
March Bluewave accepted to EICS'16.
January Accepted to CHI'16 microproductivity and cross-surface workshops.
December Attended CHI'16 PC meeting in San Jose, CA. Three papers accepted: WearWrite, XDBrowser, Snap-To-It. Also received a new Swiss NSF research grant.
November Attended UIST'15 in Charlotte, NC. Presented WearWrite demo.
October Joined EICS'16 PC.
August WearWrite demo accepted to UIST'15. Joined IUI'16 and AVI'16 PCs.
July Published WearWrite tech report.
June Co-chaired EICS'15 and co-organized XDUI workshop. Joined CHI'16 PC.
May Attended CHI'15. Received Honorable Mention for MUBox. Participated in mobile collocated interactions workshop and presented my SNSF project. Chaired session on multi-device interaction.
March Kinect Analysis and XDSession accepted to EICS'15.
February Started working at CMU HCII.
You can reach me by email via email@example.com.
If you are interested in my work, please feel free to follow me on Twitter @michinebeling.